Friday, May 17, 2013

chopped

Let's say the baby made me do it. Or perhaps the current and impending heat. I could also say Natalie made me do it when she pinned this little number (originally from Vanilla Style Sheet)


The reason doesn't truly matter I guess; the point is, I went and chopped my hair off.

If you don't know me personally, you don't know what a big deal this is for me. My hair takes decades to grow. Like mother, like daughter, I suppose. The last time I got any more than a trim was the year 2008, just before my mom and I took off on an excursion to Italy. I didn't really like it, and I don't think Sean had much a taste for it either. (He's a really bad liar when it comes to point blank questions like "do you like my hair?" *octaves higher than normal voice*: "uhhh, yeah!!") I think my head looked like a mushroom and I kind of felt like a pageboy from the Renaissance era. Witness:


It's kind of pulled back in this photo, but you can see behind my left ear how short it actually was. Also, 2008 was a chubby year for me.

It was with caution that I showed my Pinspiration to my hairdresser of five or six years. She's great. We chat about our toddlers - born only a week apart - and about how very very little hair I have (the diameter of my ponytail is like 1/4 inch...no joke. you should see my pathetic wispy attempts at a sock bun). I informed her that I was to skittish to go above-shoulder length, and she suggested an a-line cut where it would be slightly shorter in the back with longer pieces up front. But not too dramatic. 

Without further ado...



I think Sean was being sincere when he said it looked cute. But he's also probably afraid of my hormones so he might have upped his p-p-poker face skills. At any rate, I feel at peace with it, which is a big deal considering I think about 5-6 inches came off. It's significantly lighter and I have high hopes for increased managability. I'm completely hair handicapped so my fingers and toes are crossed that this will be easy to style.

I'm still basking in the blow-dried glow of just having my hair styled at a salon and am reluctant to wash it myself to see if I can handle the pressure of a new 'do. Time will tell.

....this post is brought to you by the Archives of Vapid and Self-Important....
Have a lovely Friday.

7 comments:

  1. Looks lovely- I love that pin too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pin makes me want to do it, too and so does yours! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great! I love my shorter hair..easier to manage and fun to play with. :)

    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what can i say jessie. i totally loved the new haircut. it is really cute and looks awesome on you! i also never mind seeing lots of pics of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooooo la la!

    I feel even closer to you now because, unfortunately, I have thin hair too. Also, I chopped mine off in a similar (if not the same) cut last summer and I have never looked back! Welcome to the Thin, Short Hair Club!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFUL...I love it! Seriously, way cute.

    ReplyDelete